A Trip Before the Trip-and a Tortoise  

Posted by Mariano in , , , , , ,

I'm taking a quick break from packing for a video/photo/film trip to Guatemala. The past few days have been a trip, or a roller-coaster ride.  Anyhow, I'll only be gone a few days, but will likely not write for that period. In the mean time here are a few updates. 


The MFA Front--Bumped up, sped up.
  As I mentioned before, Warren Wilson was kind enough to save me a spot for the winter term since they'd filled up the summer by the time I sent my application in. Well, someone decided to postpone their start date and left a spot for yours truly. So, I'm starting July 2. I'm pretty geeked about starting but already have two assignments. First, I have to chose one among some of the different workshops, and of the choices that best fit my program, I'm only familiar with the work being discussed in one. Also, I have to come prepared to discuss two pieces of my own work, but only one is near finished. So, much to do by April 22. 

The Home Front--New pet, new rant. Oh, and need a name.
 Kai Ryssdal of NPR's Marketplace recently had a story about how pet stores are doing just fine in the financial downturn. Well, the misus and I have graduated from office plants, to a tortoise. It's all leading up to a grandkid for parents, in-laws and pesky friends--kidding. So, yeah, a tortoise, a bred-in-captivity Marginated Tortoise to be precise.  I was about to complain about how expensive the tortoise, terrarium, "bedding", lights (two of them), heating pads, water dish, food dish, sand, hay, and calcium are, until I saw how much a flippin' dog costs. All of the items mentioned above cost less than half whatever ugly mutt they were selling at the pet store. Then you have to get shots, collars, ID tags, loads o' food, leash, toys, etc. It's kinda' crazy, but then anything but a beta fish in a $2 bowl seems pretty nuts. 

The Photo Front
Since my nephew just turned 6 mo. old, I gave his parents a free photo shoot. Well, who am I kidding, I love photographing the little dude. Anyhow, behold the high commander who has tak usurped every sphere of family life and can pull us away from anything by merely saying WAAAA, in the right tone. So, we pay tribute to the little man who rules with an iron fist. Eating,  sleeping, drinking, getting pampered and being the center of attention. Now that's a life. 
 
The Typewriter Front--Dream's up, UPS picks up the tab
I've watched two of my dream typewriters, Groma Kolibri,  ascend to the heights of $150 and well beyond my reach in only the past few days. Meanwhile, my Aztec 700 is in for repair with some undiagnosed malady that stumped the local typewriter doctor. Thankfully, UPS is paying the bill, since it was in their hands that it got messed up. 

The Beer Front
  I've already had the chocolaty, coffee, and oats goodness in a bourbon barrel that is the Kentucky Breakfast Stout. I've tried the Orange Blossom Cream Ale, which I'll review soon, though I linked to beer advocate for your reading pleasure. And I tried some local microbrews with mixed results. More when I get back.

The Travel Front
Speaking of getting back, I'm going back to Guatemala this weekend (10 months since my last visit), to hand over a film project to my friend Daniel G. who is a better film director than I'll ever be. I produced a short narrative film that he wrote and directed a couple years ago, so now I invited him to my turf. So down we'll go to work with some of the most dangerous men in some of the most dangerous neighborhoods and institutions of that country. I'll spare the gory details until I return. Until my return, keep an eye out for my tweets (look right, I have a widget). I'll sneak them if I can.  

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 14, 2009 at Tuesday, April 14, 2009 and is filed under , , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Meghan  

I want to know what your workshop options are - and your reading list, when you get it. Scott and I both like to drool over syllabi.

May 21, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics