Virtual Rejection-unconfirmed  

Posted by Mariano in , , , ,


   As I sat in my study cleaning my new Aztec 700, which I decided to call Cuauh, something burned in me...no it was not the enchiladas. I couldn't handle the silence, the anxious wait, the impotent desire of figuring out if I did or did not get into one of the three MFA programs. Bennington, Boston and Warren-Wilson alike, promised to contact applicants within two to six weeks. It is no secret that they contact accepted applicants first and usually via phone. Well, I gave them four weeks to reach the frozen chosen and figure that weeks five and six are for the unelected, unreached, unwanted. 
    So, tonight I turned to a blog called Suburban Ecstasies, which on top of offering good poetry, it tracks the dates in which schools notify applicants. So, as the 2009 numbers appeared on the right column and there, in blue lettering it appeared that Bennington has already notified its fiction applicants on March 12, 2009. I'm assuming they are done notifying their elect by now, so I'm counting this as a definite MISS, and hoping for two out of three to come back with a positive response. Boston has already notified its Poetry applicants but no word on fiction yet--so I'm still hoping and praying and wishing and thinking, planning and dreaming each night of their halls, which gets me no closer at all....a bit for the doo wop humor. 
  Well, the wait continues and we can safely assume that I'm not buying any tickets to Vermont any time soon. One down...
A picture of Cuauh:


This entry was posted on Thursday, March 26, 2009 at Thursday, March 26, 2009 and is filed under , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

Ahh haa, so I see you've stumbled upon Mr. Ambramson's blog....

Sorry to hear about Bennington. Time to go yet with the others though.

March 26, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Yes, and just in the nick of time too. Sanity was failing me and then, a soothing verse and a helpful schedule made it all better. He rules. No sweat on Bennington, I somehow knew I wouldn't get in there, they had a different focus. I'm more concerned about the other two.

March 26, 2009 at 10:15 PM
Anonymous  

I find your source for MFA acceptance rates/dates unreliable. I also find your conclusion, that schools notify their accepted students first and the rejections last, as misguided. That's not how schools work. Top programs accept students on a rolling basis. This means that acceptance and rejection decisions alike are notified based on when they are made. Schools do not hold on to their batch of rejection letters until all their acceptances have been communicated. A delayed response could mean anything from a higher than average number of applications, to a more detailed and therefore lengthier review of your application. Though you may be right in reasoning that a longer response time is not a good sign, ruling out your acceptance is simply unfounded.

March 27, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Hmm, you got my attention anonymous. How do you know all this? You wouldn't happen to have any other insights would you? Appreciate your comments, thanks. :)

March 27, 2009 at 5:47 PM

I had an Aztec 700 that looked just like this. Except the round-eraser thing was really really worn down by the time I was through, and the cleaner-brush tips were black halfway up the bristle. Typed many a book report on this. Quaint. But I still prefer "DELETE" to white-out.

September 7, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Post a Comment

Clicky Web Analytics